Government Milk & Cereal
After I was laid off and when Dennis was still in school, there was a brief window where we qualified for Wisconsin’s state program for expecting women and their children. For the cost of a moderately painful prick to the finger and health screening, we get checks for free milk, eggs, cereal, cheese, etc. for the next year. Heck, I’m willing to swallow my pride to save a couple hundred dollars! Now, when I go to use these checks, I am extremely mindful to buy EXACTLY what it says I can so the checkout process is as seamless and uneventful as possible (OK, so I still have a little more pride to swallow!). Well, today during my weekly grocery-shopping trip, I picked the wrong checker to facilitate this experience – “Barbara” with “11 years of service” to be exact. First, she tried to argue that I had to buy two individual gallons of milk, not the two connected by a strap to make them easier (especially for pregnant women) to carry – both versions are made by the same dairy, mind you! Then she made a big dramatic scene about the cereals I picked, threw them down on the conveyor and announced to everyone in the immediate area, “These aren’t approved!” Of course, she pulled out her little reference card, and there they were listed (and pictured) as clear as day! At least the lady behind me – and now, the line of three more customers – looked on with pity. I can only imagine how pathetic it must have looked with a big pregnant lady being challenged by a snooty checker for her state-funded milk! I mean, it’s humbling enough to use these checks that publicly announce your poverty, but is it really necessary to humiliate the impoverished in front of an entire line of impatient shoppers?! I mean, how does “Barbara” know what situation(s) lead anyone to qualify for government assistance? And even then, what gives “Barbara” the authority to treat ANYONE so horribly?! Not to worry – the letter writing campaign has begun…


1 Comments:
Some people just BURN ME UP! That's so awful. There was a woman at the Cookie Lee convention this past January who spoke about how becoming a consultant helped her get off welfare, and how checkers at the grocery store would demand to see her welfare card because she "didn't look like someone who should be on welfare." Um, HELLO!?!?!??!
Post a Comment
<< Home