Monday, April 25, 2005

One Puffy Foot

I realized a long time ago that God has a healthy sense of humor. And, as we began the adventures of childbearing, I knew the story had a pretty rocky ending. Even before we were pregnant, I thought long and hard about that Genesis 3:16 passage when God was “miffed” (to say the least) about that old apple-eating incident. After cursing men, he laid this one on us women: “You will bear children with intense pain and suffering.” Thanks a lot, Eve.

So, going into this venture, I knew challenges and quirks would abound. And, after having lived with a birth defect in my left ankle for the better part of my life, a little swelling in the legs never upset my world – until this morning. My “bad” ankle was in better shape than ever, but my “good” ankle was rivaling some of the best bratwursts at a Mid-Western grill out. I get the sense of humor with this whole thing, God, but why the one puffy foot? I missed the part of the curse that talked about the sausage ankles – or in this case, ankle.

I know the scientific reasoning behind this phenomenon – new pressure on your legs, changing circulation, yadda, yadda, yadda… But what was He going for on this one? “Hmm… First, I’ll make them fat, unable to sleep comfortably, riddled with indigestion and, uh, I need another one… Ooh, the ankles! Yes, swell up the ankles!” I guess it could be worse… swollen noses or ears or something. But just to even up the score, what do the FATHERS get in this whole ordeal?! Oh yeah… dealing with our hormonal mood swings. Yet again, God nails the punch line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home