Friday, January 28, 2005

Redefining "PAIN"

So, if anyone is actually reading this blog, my apologies for not updating things a little sooner. This back pain issue has put me a bit out of commission (as well as my mind) for the past three weeks or so, and just when I thought things were getting better, boy was I in for a surprise!!! At about 2 a.m. Tuesday morning, I got to take my first ambulance ride! I was rolling over in bed and had the absolute most horrendous pain attack in my leg. After the first run and screaming in pain, I tried to get up to take a shower and get some warm water on it or something. But then, it happened again - except about 10 times more painful. I was stuck in bed, unable to move without more excrutiating pain and paralyzed with a numb left leg. Dennis called 911 and five paramedics hauled me off to the hospital for a few doses of morphine - what wonderful stuff THAT is!!! Fortunately, I had an appointment at the Spine Care Clinic the next morning, so we went straight from the hospital to the clinic and found out that I have a herniated disk and/or pinched nerve. They at least know I have a pinched nerve because I still can't feel part of my leg and foot, but since they can't take x-rays, they don't know about the herniated disk part. So, I was on a walker for two days and trapped at home. The worst part is getting up every two hours in the night to take a lap around the house and keep my spine moving. And, it's always just when I get deep into a good sleep - practice for when baby arrives, eh!? But, yesterday was my first day back to work, and today I'm really doing better. At physical therapy this morning, my PT said I'm making great progress! I still walk slow and funny, and have to take laps around the office every hour, but at least I'm back up and walking! While I haven't yet experienced childbirth, I can't imagine labor being more painful than this adventure was. I have a pretty high tolerance to begin with, but now I have an entirely new perspective on pain after this experience!!! The best news is that none of this hurts or even affects the baby (including all the narcotics), so that was relieving. At least SOMEone is not affected by this whole ordeal! I'm slowly learning that my body is now simply a vessel for baby's growth and comfort, and I am merely inconsequential to the entire process. Although, will much really change from here on out anyhow!? ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home