Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Did You Get That Memo, Baby?

Today marks “Two Days Late” of this phenomenal pregnancy experience. Actually, it was phenomenal until I actually believed that I would have a baby smack dab on my due date. They say only 5% of women end up delivering exactly on their due date, and I naively convinced myself that I would be in that slim but above average group of lucky ladies. Who was I kidding?

Today I just woke up grumpy. Grumpy about waking up at my usual 7 a.m. without a painful interruption in the night sending us fleeting to the hospital. Grumpy that I didn’t wake up in a puddle of amniotic fluid (sorry to be so crass, but that’s where I’m at!). And grumpy that the eviction notice hasn’t quite made it to the womb yet in this ever-growing tummy of mine. You see, every extra day Baby spends in there means more and more Baby that I have to get OUT!

So, I threw on my workout pants and tied up my tennis shoes demanding that Dennis and I go walk laps around the local mall. The sweet husband that he is, Dennis insists on going with me any time I leave the house, but to return the favor, I dropped him off at Barnes and Noble while I tore through the mall, cell phone in hand. I’d walk until my water broke, if need be! FOUR laps (and let me tell you, that is a lot of laps for a 40-week and two days pregnant woman!) later, and nothing – except for some dizzy spells and massive hunger. After breakfast, we decided to go home, get Cutie and a kite and go kite flying at our local park. I nearly peed myself laughing as Dennis got wrapped up and trapped in Cutie’s lead and the kite string – simultaneously. But, even big belly laughs that brought me to tears couldn’t bring the action on.

So what’s left? Walking laps up and down our driveway while Dennis gets a good night’s (day’s) rest? Perhaps I should step up the walking to a steady jog? Tomorrow we get to see our doctor, so hopefully she will have some encouraging news...

I’ve decided this delay means Baby has Dennis’ personality – one adverse to major life changes. Dennis likes life nice and comfortable right where he left it. I think Baby is QUITE content in the womb, and why disturb a good thing, huh? Yep, sounds EXACTLY like my Dennis talking… Endearing as that may be, enough is enough already!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Okay, here are the tips I've heard to bring on labor:
-Eat spicy food (two women posted on the website I read that they both went into labor 24 hours after eating at Chipotle--have one of those out there?)
-Walk along a street curb (one foot on the street and one on the curb so you're walking up and down)
-Sex (at least that one is moderately fun)
-Nipple stimulation (maybe do that one along with sex--this one is actually not a wive's tale, it is actually used a lot when your labor stalls in the hospital)
-Massage between your fingers and toes (there's a certain kind of Japanese massage that can actually cause contractions to start, but I can't remember what it is)

Okay, those are all the ones I can think of right now...if I hear of any more I'll be sure to let you know! Keep us posted! :)

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home