Unexpected Thoughtfulness
Today was the end-of-the-year pool party for the Special Olympic swim team I help coach – or so I thought! About an hour before the party, big thunderstorms moved in, and the dark skies made for a perfect naptime environment. I figured, “I’ll just catch a few winks to get refreshed,” but I woke up 15 minutes after the party started! So, I madly dashed around the house to get ready, and arrived just in time to find everyone hustling down to the basement as the tornado sirens started wailing. Confused (and still half asleep), I, too, was shuffled downstairs, and after saying hello to everyone and sitting down, I noticed they were also hauling down all kinds of gifts. I didn't realize what they were until I saw the wrappings closer, and then I knew - they got me! The party hostess looked at me and said, “Surprise! This is a baby shower!” My initial reaction was “Boy, do I feel sheepish for showing up fashionably late!” But - after they assured me it was OK because everyone got to spend some time in the pool before the weather turned - I was moved by how sweet (and generous!) everyone was. The athletes all brought their thoughtfully chosen gifts up to me one by one, many distinctly proud of having chosen it themselves. It’s times like these when I realize how unfathomable love runs in their hearts – it STILL brings tears to my eyes! I was mostly touched that they would do all of that for me, especially since I've only been coaching them for a little over one season and I'm only the assistant coach! Being so far away from friends and family, I realized what a treasured “family” of special people I have found right here in Wauwatosa. “Special” Olympics athletes and parents they are indeed!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home